A perfect rainy day is a day with warm khichuri and brinjal fry in Bengali culture. In Bengali tradition, khichuri is a must-food while it is pouring. People enjoy rains from their homes and prefer to eat khichuri instead of regular plain rice or bread.
What is Khichuri:
Khichuri is a special dish that is made with rice and different types of lentil. Rice and lentil are the main ingredients of any khichuri. The recipe is similar to biryani, which is a worldwide popular dish. Unlike biriyani, the plate does not include any meat such as mutton, beef, or chicken. You may serve any type of meat dishes with khichuri, but while preparing khichuri, meat is not used.
Variations of Khichuri
Though the main recipe is almost the same, there are some variations of khichuri such as Bhuna Khichuri, Painna or letta khichuri, vegetable khichuri, “Moog-dal khichuri, and more.
- Bhuna Khichuri: Bengali word “Bhuna” indicates those dishes that do not have broth. Basically, any “bhuna” curry like “fish bhuna”, “meat bhuna”, etc. have a thick consistency. Like other ‘Bhuna” recipes, “bhuna khichuri” indicates the khichuri that does not have any broth. It tastes like traditional biryani.
- Painna Khicuri: The Bengali word “Painna” means “watery”. It is the opposite version of “Bhuna” khichuri. While Bhuna khichuri is dry, painna khichuri is watery and soft.
- Vegetable Khichuri: Vegetable khichuri can be dried like bhuna khichuri or watery like painna khichuri. The only additional thing is the use of different types of vegetables. Mothers of 1-2-year-old kids prefer this khichuri while they introduce solid food for their kids.
Mungbean dal Khicuri: Mungdal khichuri is another excellent khichuri. Mugdal or Mungbean is roasted slightly, which creates a fantastic flavor and smell. After that, using that roasted mungbeans, the khichuri is prepared.
Most Popular Recipes:
All the khichuri methods are almost the same. However, the difference lies in the use of water quantity and other ingredients. When you try to prepare Mugdal khichuri, replace the normal lentil with Mungbean and before making the khichuri, slightly fry the mungbeans so that it can give you a mouthwatering aroma. On the other hand, for making “Bhuna khichuri”, you need to add water by measuring the rice while for “painna khichuri”, you need to add more water for making it soft and watery. For 1 cup of rice, you need to use 2 cups of water.
- Rice: 4 cup
- Lentil: 1 cup ( if you want to prepare Mungdal khichuri, select Mungbeans, otherwise, choose any lentil, preferably red lentil)
- Turmeric: 2 tablespoon
- Chili Powder: 1 Table-spoon
- Cinnamon: 1 piece
- Bay leaves and Clove: 2-3
- Garlic paste or chopped: 1 tablespoon
- Oil: half cup
- Green chili: 10-12
- Salt: according to taste
- Lukewarm water: 7 cups ( for “Painna khichuri” , use more water according to your preferred consistency, otherwise for all other types of khichuri, the measurement is same)
- Coriander leaves: As necessary
- Wash the rice and soak it for 30 minutes. You can also use the rice without being soaked. Wash the lentil also.
- Pour cooking oil and after some time, add bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamon. Wait for the pleasant aroma.
- Add ginger paste, turmeric powder, chili poder.
- Then add rice and lentil and fry for 4-5 minutes.
- After that, add water, salt, and green chili.
- Wait until the water is dried out and add the coriander leaves. Cover the pan. And mix well. Your awsome khichuri is ready.
Recipe 1- Bhuna Recipe: The above procedure is for bhuna khichuri.
Recipe 2- Painna Khicuri: Just add more water than the average measurement.
Recipe 3- Vegetable khichuri: Before adding rice, lentil, and water, add your preferred vegetables such as potato, cauliflower, bean, etc.
Where to shop for Spices for Khicuri?
Apart from the main ingredients, rice, vegetables, and lentil, spices are a must for any khichuri. Without spices, you will not get the perfect taste. Fortunately, you will find all types of essential spices for khichuri in Hateem Tai, an online shop that offers exclusive and fresh spices as well as other groceries.